The Ultimate Dish Toppings… Organic Onions and Chives!!!
Well now, you just can’t have a loaded baked potato (or tater as we say) without these two!! Chives and green onion stems are a necessity! My absolute favorite dish is… PARTY POTATOES! Not just any party potatoes, only my Aunt Robin’s. Here’s a funny story for you… After having my first son, my aunt Robin brought me the best home cooked meal. In the mountains, that’s what friends and family do for each other. Just another one of those perks of a country life. Anyway, I didn’t share one bite with anyone else and I dared them to even come near them. I was serious about those potatoes.
It is my opinion that chives are the most important flavoring of party potatoes. (Recipe below) Does anyone in the south remember this school lunch dish… It was a large stainless steel, deep-dished tray filled with whole canned potatoes, that were literally soaking in melted butter and chives??? Um, I hate to confess but it was my favorite!! Quite possibly where my obsession began!!
I would LOVE to hear from you all! Comment some of your favorite recipes that call for green onions or chives!! Share our herbs with me! I would love to see your gardening ideas!!
- 5 pounds organic potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 – 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt, and maybe more
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, and maybe more
- Extra slices of butter for topping
- After peeling and washing potatoes, slice them up. Add them to boiling pot of water until softened.
- Drain and add to mixing bowl. I like to use my kitchen aid mixer.
- Add salt, pepper, butter, chives. Mix.
- Add sour cream, mix.
- Add milk last, mix.
- Garnish with more chives and butter slices
NOTE: All of these ingredients are give and take. You may need to add more as you are going.